Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Indiana Jones - Where are you?


So I went out to the Block in Orange County this weekend and had dinner with my wife and a friend at Koji's Shabu Shabu. I won't bother you with details but it was pretty good. After dinner someone (I'm not saying who) thought it would be a good idea to watch the latest Indiana Jones movie,"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

About 20 minutes later after watching Indy survive a nuclear blast by locking himself into a fridge, I began to think that maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all and that I'd probably have a better time if I stuck sharp objects under my fingernails......

Yeah I know, when you're at the movies your supposed to suspend disbelief. I just think that it's a little too much to ask me to believe that someone can survive a nuclear explosion by jumping into a fridge ( yeah I KNOW it was lined with lead). Did I mention he was also hurled through the air at thousands of miles per hour? Anyways, it wouldn't have surprised me to watch Harrison Ford rip off his shirt, put on a costume and cape and fly away after the bad guys.

After seeing what Indy had in store for me I thought, "Wow if the movie is already this bad what's gonna happen when they introduce Shia Lebeouf?" I'm no fan of Mr. Labeouf, I think he overacts, has terrible delivery and fails to look genuine everytime he's expressing anything other than "OH MY GOD THIS IS AWESOME DUDE". I won't spoil the rest of the movie for those of you who haven't seen it but by the end I actually began to enjoy watching Shia and Harrison Ford interact with each other. I think they worked well together and wouldn't mind watching the movie a second time when it's available on DVD or Blueray.

I'm still no Shia Lebeouf fan but I thought what he brought to the table worked in this instance. I still think somewhere along way, at some stage in its production, the movie lost it's soul or sold-out. Hopefully they won't try to make another and just let Indy ride off into the sunset like they were supposed to in the Last Crusade.

No comments: